Wednesday, December 3, 2014

You Are What You Watch

Crime has become the pastime of America. We now have channels dedicated to giving us all the breaking news on horrendous acts soon after they are committed. TV sitcoms now revolve around the idea of crimes and murder investigations. When our parents were young and even when some of us were young, the TV shows that were family comedies far outnumbered those that were about crime and violence. But now, if we turn on the television almost every channel has a show like CSI or Law & Order airing at all hours of the day. Don’t get me wrong, I am as guilty as the next person for watching these shows. However, I think that television has glamorized crime and criminals. Many criminals get put into the spotlight during their trials and many of them get enjoyment from it. As far as Jodi Arias, I don’t exactly understand why she was such a media sensation except for how completely bizarre the case was. She was not like some other defendants. She was charismatic and charming and enjoyable to listen to. I remember watching bits and pieces of the trail when it was live on television. After a matter of minutes, I was never happier about the fact that I was at home and could turn the channel to escape her. No wonder that a number of jurors didn’t make it through the entire trail, I don’t know if I could have listened to Jodi’s testimony for one day let alone eighteen. It also angers me that they allowed her to continue to claim self-defense when the man she murdered was naked and wet. Did she ever think of just getting in her car and driving away? I doubt he could have caught up with her in the time he dried off and put on some clothes.

2 comments:

  1. I am at a complete loss as to why this case became so extremely popular. As you stated there are so many tv shows about these things, all of SVU is based off of true events that we've never heard of, why this one? It's pretty gross, really

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are spot on with your connection to our television shows. I don't watch a ton of TV but it really does seem like most of our prime-time shows are some sort of mystery/crime drama. Some are fiction and some are based on the real thing, but they all seem to get great ratings. I also agree with your point about glamorizing crime. When I was searching things about Jodi Arias I actually find a website that classified her as a celebrity and her occupation was a murderer. Is that really what this world is coming to?

    ReplyDelete