Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Anxieties

I felt a bit connected to Susan Glaspell's character Amos Owen's from Beloved Husband because of his anxieties yet constant fight for motivation in his life. There were many points made that show us how incredibly worried he could be about little things and how he couldn't explain his feelings to anyone because they just wouldn't understand, not even his wife. It all started early on in his life when something as little as his mother saying "you get to bed and right to sleep, or you'll not be able to wake up when I call you" (135) and Amos feared this every night, stressing about not being able to wake back up in the morning. He also stressed about money all the time, always so sure he would lose what he had and not be able to accomplish his goals of purchasing the fish market before the current owner died.(136) He worried about unnecessary things constantly, some things more than other and just dealt with the "nervous chill" these things would give him. (137)

I feel as though society didn't know how to quite handle anxieties yet in Amos' time. It seems as though they, including his wife, would judge his worries. "He suffered but went on. He had to suffer and he had to go on. He was like that." (137) Luckily he was strong enough to fight past these trials in his life so they wouldn't stop his dreams and goals and eventually he was successful. Today's world has medications, therapy, and much more understanding for people who struggle in the same ways Amos and I do. Society has accepted our differences and science has shown how normal these things can be.

5 comments:

  1. Sara,
    I also think that anxiety and other similar disorders were not well known in the time of this book. People with any of those problems were not treated fairly and some still experience discrimination today. It's amazing to look back and see how far we have come scientifically and know how much more understanding we have of these issues. It's horrible what happened to Owen because things could've been different if others accepted him as he was. To know that it took that one moment of his mother talking to him about not waking up to change his whole mindset will hopefully send a message about how everything one says have some form of impact on a person's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mental health is not yet fully understood and still stands with some social stigma. I can't imagine how much worse it was earlier in our history. Back then there were no treatments and mental health issues were well hidden due to significant negative social complications. Even these days, as a nurse, I still hear people talk about anxiety and depression as if it is something that is chosen which is most absolutely is not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara,
    I, also, feel very connected to a character such as Owen. I have great anxiety and worry way too much about everything, although money is not one of them. I do believe to survive in this world nowadays, money has a lot to do with your happiness. Things are becoming more expensive and if you don't receive a certain amount of income, people tend to struggle. I do believe that just because you have a nice car, a huge house, an iPhone, an iPad, and all other expensive items means that you are happy. I know so many people who have a good life and a lot of expensive things but still aren't happy. I feel as though the more you get older, you can't buy the things you really crave for and need in life such as love, intimacy, hope and loyalty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,
    In my post I talked about how society tends to believe that money is the key to happiness. I truly believe that you understand that it is not then you can let it not take you over like Mr. Owens did. And as you said, as you get older you can't buy love, intimacy, and all those great emotions. Money can never buy me happiness but interactions with others and a loving feeling can. Mr. Owens couldn't do this because he was so in love and paranoid with his money. He barely even had a relationship with the closest people to him because of money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. You had some really good details about the character in the story. I, myself, also felt like I could relate to Amos' feelings and anxieties. I had some similar details in my post as well. I do agree though that back in Amos' time, no one knew how to deal with anxiety or any mental illness for that matter. So, it was really hard to diagnose and determine at the time. Great post! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete