Friday, November 7, 2014

Happily Ever After

           The first thing that comes to mind when I read the prompt was video games. As a daily gamer I'm going to nerd things up for you. The reason why I immediately thought of video games is because very much like movies, it is really easy to place yourself in that situation. In the Sims you can easily create yourself and be anything that you want to be. I think this is mainly why people want to relate themselves to a fantasy life. You can become anything and everything you want to be. You can become a much better, smarter, stronger, attractive, successful you. You are not you. In the game Sims, you can live a life of doing whatever you want to do without any repercussions or offending anyone else. It's absolutely perfect, to live a life that you really want to live and constantly be happy with the family you want or the job you would die for in real life. Very much like video games, movies do the same thing. Sometimes the actors make it so easy for the viewer to set themselves in their situation. Good actors and directors will make you feel like you are actually there. I think people put themselves in these situations because they think their life is not as good as the one on screen. They see the action and the romance and they want that in their life. I know that I make my Sim a successful artist in game when the real me has only had three art classes in highschool and is going to school for nursing. If I could be a successful artist and know that I can make a ton of money I would drop nursing right now. But that's not possible at all or at least I see it that way. And a ton of people do this too! They imagine something they could be but never believe that they can be. So instead they use their imaginations and become a top notch soldier like in the game Halo or put themselves in Rachel McAdams' shoes while watching The Notebook. People strive for love, strength, or anything that isn't necessarily them or in their life. So instead of living the real life, they live in this amazing fantasy world where everything is solved in the end and there's a happily ever after. It's that escape that everyone needs and who doesn't want a happily ever after?

2 comments:

  1. Alexa,

    I was actually just talking to someone about this at work. How we do things because it makes sense, not because we want too. She actually said the same thing that if she knew that she could be a successful artist she would quit her job as a CRNA. I have to agree if I knew that I could have the life that I have as a nurse while following something I really love then I would do it. Instead during a particularly bad shift I use my imagination to muse about what my life would be like if I wasn't a nurse. Sometimes I like to watch my favorite movies and think about how I'd handle being in those situations. What would happen if I had to take the one ring to mordor? Its so easy to relate because its a way for use to escape the monotony and the hardships of our day to day lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved reading this. I am not so much a gamer, but when I do play video games, I really get into them and take my role as that particular character pretty seriously. I am usually running around as a dragon of some sort, but when I am able to accomplish the tasks that are placed before me, I feel like I am doing something so right. I like the idea of being able to escape into a different world that nobody else that I know can be a part of. It just feels good to get away and to take your worries some place else. I really enjoyed reading this post!

    ReplyDelete