Friday, November 14, 2014

Hysteria and Modern Day Witch Hunts

I’m sure that I’m going to repeat a lot of what other people are saying but I think that gun control and “ebola” are the modern day “witch hunts” that we have to deal with. In these modern day witch hunts we see fear being inspired and hyper sensationalized in the media. For a little while everyone was convinced that we were all going to die from Ebola, that they needed to just cut all ties from West Africa. At one point I read a news story about a young man from West Africa being denied admission to school because of the fear that he was going to bring Ebola with him. We had people in fear and people on the internet rallying for some type of punishment for the nurse that refused quarantine in Maine. Then we had nurses refusing to care for patients with Ebola. Now that they media sensation has died down, and the country has realized that we aren't all going to drop dead in a day from Ebola there hasn't been as much talk about it. It seems people are already forgetting about it. I see the similarities to the crucible and I see the differences. I think that it just goes to show us that we lose a lot of our “humanity” when we get caught up in the hysteria of a witch hunt. When we get into the mob mentality we are capable of anything and it’s hard to reason with that mentality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment