Thursday, November 6, 2014

Imagination can be a wonderful thing



As I’ve read through other posts so far I’ve noticed a common theme, which I completely agree with. We tend to relate to fantasy stories because of our very active imaginations, and that it gives us a break from the real world. I can’t think that anyone isn’t guilty of this at some point or another, if fact it would be quite sad to find someone with no imagination. It is something that starts early on in life, and gives great joy to us as children, even while trying to hang on to it as we age. As I sit here typing my son is pretending to cook me a meal over on the counter. He is as happy as can be.

We live in a world with fears and evils, there is much good but as a mother I worry about the gross things that could so easily beset my children and often wonder how to protect them from the vile creatures that humans can become. I enjoy watching Star Wars or reading Harry Potter to escape reality and imagine a life in space or what changes could be made with magical powers. It’s uplifting to imagine things, it’s easy to be carried away in a fantasy and it can be a wonderful thing. 

Everyone is different. I personally find no pleasure in The Lord of the Rings books or movies, they make me want to fall asleep. I will never understand gamer’s desires to kill fake people for hours on end. I love books and being sucked into those stories, imagining my life elsewhere, but have friends that hate to read. It’s an interesting world, but there is something in it for everyone!

1 comment:

  1. First I have to say that I have not met someone else who does not find an interest in The Lord of the Rings. I too, fall asleep during the movies and I have not even attempted to read the books. I also have your same views about video games. I hate the ones the involve killing and shooting each other to earn points. It does not leave a positive impression on kids and have the potential to teach them bad habits and/or attitudes. Personally I have witnessed my cousin become socially dysfunctional and awkward because he played video games so much the he forgot how to interact with real people. We all need our escapes but those who live a fantasy life need to connect with reality.

    ReplyDelete