Wednesday, September 10, 2014

An Unlikely Hero

          This semester I found bravery to be my number one favorite theme so far, with selflessness as a close second, particularly in Harry Potter. Here we have this little kid, Harry, living with the belligerent Dursleys, and puts up with foul treatment for ten years before learning who he is. Bravery isn't seen early on, but it is seen developing with the protagonist, and others, as time goes on. Right from the start you get the feeling that Harry is treated as a blight on the Dursley residence. Aunt Petunia screams at Harry constantly and Uncle Vernon pays no regrets for his snarling comments about the boy. Dudley is the alpha bully, constantly beating on Harry, but sometimes we see Harry make witty comebacks. For instance, on page 32 Dudley offers to shove Harry's head down a toilet, to which he replies, “The poor toilet's never had anything as horrible as your head down it – it might be sick.” This was the start of Harry's bravery growing, which prepared him for his new nemesis, Malfoy.

          I loved the battle with the troll where Harry and Ron both showed great bravery. For them to fight a mountain troll showed an immense evolution of bravery, leaping from simple bullies to hulking behemoths. Its amazing to think this scrawny little wizard would instinctively jump on a hulking beast to save his friend. It's suffice to say that this action can be both brave and selfless. I love how Harry throws himself into danger to defend people. I feel like the author uses this selfless nature of Harry to keep the thought in the reader's mind, “This is why he's the hero!”


          I found it funny sometimes that Harry breaks the rules at Hogwarts and usually ends up being rewarded in some way. When Professor Hooch threatens to expel anyone that rides their broom while she's gone with Neville, Harry does it anyways to challenge Malfoy's schoolyard-tyranny over Longbottom's rememberball. With no flying experience, the once quiet and obedient Potter becomes seeker in a blink of an eye. Harry Potter definitely shows the clear sign of bravery and selflessness throughout his adventure and that's why I believe these are intriguing themes thus far this semester.

1 comment:

  1. Vinny,
    I absolutely loved this blog post! I totally forgot all about the bravery in Harry Potter. I do have to agree with you that Harry Potter was always the brave one in the story. Maybe that is why the author made it that way. To make him out to be a hero, and be brave, even if he does get into trouble sometimes. I like the part in the book where Harry goes down to meet Lord Voldemort after getting through the chess match that Ron got them through. I have to say that Harry was very brave to do that on his own. Then again, I think that Harry was the only one that could face him by himself because he is the one that Lord Voldemort wanted. I would be scared to death to face him by myself. Even at 11 years old, Harry Potter is a tough and brave kid. He really does inspire me to be brave like him. I'm hoping someday I will be as brave as him. Great blog post, Vinny! I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete