Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Winter's Bones; Ree an inspirational character

I was intrigued with Ree as a person throughout the entire movie because she was determined to accomplish her goal of finding her father. There were many scenes where Ree's personality was shown and aided her to figure out some answers about her dad. The scene that truly touched my heart was when Ree went to the army recruiter at the school. This is incredibly hard for anyone to do, but Ree did not do this to get stronger and get her life in order she did it for her siblings. There were many scenes where she actually searched for answers through different people, but I found this scene intriguing because she was not specifically seeking answers from anyone. The army recruiter told Ree that her job is to stay at home and take care of the children; this is her biggest job right now. As sweet as it is for Ree to want to join the army to receive $40,000 in the next  12 - 84 weeks, the army recruiter realizes that the only shot of life for her brother and sister was if Ree raised them. I think this hit Ree straight in the heart. This demonstrated Ree's caring heart, determination, and the warrior inside her. 

4 comments:

  1. Taylor,
    I also find it touching that she was willing to do so much for her siblings. Even though the goal of finding her Father was tough she did it because it was what she had to do in order to keep a roof over their heads. Making such a big goal like that is proof of how strong she really is. Though I would do anything for my sisters I could not imagine having to do all that Ree had to do for her siblings well being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taylor,
    You brought up a great point about Ree’s personality in your post. Watching this sense was heartbroken for me. I thought to myself why should a young girl her age goes through so much pain and disappointment. You mention that when the recruiter asked for her reason of joining the army, she had to decide if she should still home and take care of her sibling or join the army and leave them. I believe that part of her decision was based on the fact that she needed a parental consent to join.
    Out of curiosity, I wonder why you chose this scene. I thought there were many scene that better matched the title and focus of your post. I personally think that you could have chosen a different scene that better reflect your title and focus. For example, you could have talked about Ree's teaching her sibling about the basis farmer surviving skills. To me that shows Ree’s demonstration of caring heart which your post seem to focus on the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I enjoyed this scene because it was different than all the others in my eyes. In many of the scenes Ree was teaching her siblings something new or figuring out why her father was not coming back. In this scene with the army recruiter she seemed in a more natural state. She was acting just like a young adult searching for acceptance and wanting to help her family. Ree was not trying to be the hero where she is protecting the house for the cop or getting beaten up by her fathers' enemies. I just wanted to chose a different scene that I knew other students would not chose!

      Delete