Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Lets go back to the 1980s

       Let's go back to the 1980's when internet was not at an easy reach, texting was not part of communication and phones were only used in households. Some might say it is easier now to communicate with others, but another person may argue that they want to go back to the 80s where communication was more simple. During the 1980s, when one wanted to call their girlfriend in high school to go on a date they had to call the house and talk to their parents first.  Now, one can text or message each other on Facebook about meeting at the movies.
            Individuals definition of intimacy may consist of sending cute text messages or sending kissy face pictures. How is this intimacy? What happened to opening the door for your girlfriend, bringing flowers just because or writing a cute letter to your boyfriend? There are many relationships that consist mostly of sending messages and pictures, individuals might not even hear their significant other's voice for days on end. Whereas, I enjoy seeing my boyfriend and talking to him face - to - face.
            Facebook and Twitter can cause many affairs in relationships. Why? It is easy access to pictures, you can message whoever you want, post comments, and in the end just say someone hacked your account. No one has to takes responsibility for their actions on Facebook. A friend request to an old lover from high school is harmless, but once you start catching up with them and talking about personal stories things can change. The intimacy grows stronger and slowly can turn into an affair without the significant other even knowing you reached out to your old lover because it is all online.

            Social networking gives us a different side to intimacy through messages and pictures. Personally, I would rather see us go back to intimacy through face - to - face conversations and doing sweet things for another. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow Taylor I fully enjoyed this post. I was 18 in 1984 and I clearly remember the "intimacy" of friends, relatives and girl friends. I remember being so in awe for this girl I wanted to date, I ran to her house, 4 miles, just to bring her a gift and some flowers. And like you say, I didn't have the flowers or gift delivered to me through Amazon.com. It required me looking up the address in the phone book, getting on the land line, and driving up to see the actual flowers and gift, as opposed to an image I could enlarge and click yes/send. It was a MUCH more personal time and although I really appreciate how I am able to find and connect with friends and acquaintances overseas, I still have a sadness that the basics were all taken away through advanced electronics.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor, this was a wonderful post and brought up great points about those little acts of kindness or "intimacy" we have long forgotten. Even those of us who grew up without the technology of cell phones and the internet occasionally forget about those days and wonder even now, if people would know how to communicate if it were not for this technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!!!!! I agree with you yes it is cute but I do wish that in this generation guys would open the doors for females and bring her flowers. My dad says this so much. He explains that the guys in this generation are nothing like how it was back in the day. He always tells me to look for someone who treats me like a princess but in this generation a lot of people are settling instead of looking for someone who does these things. If you stay in your comfort zone you may miss out on someone who does these things for you.

    ReplyDelete