Friday, September 12, 2014

Real Life vs. Harry Potter



Something I found very interesting and worth noting while reading Harry Potter was his power over the sorting hat during the opening ceremony when the student first got to Hogwarts. Harry was so nervous and fearful that he would be placed in Slytherin. He kept repeating in his head “not Slytherin, not Slytherin” and the hat spoke to him about his greatness and how well he might do as a Slytherin. But because Harry spoke up, the hat took his opinion into consideration and placed him in Gryffindor, which we all know was a historical moment for Hogwarts. 

This part of the story has always had an impact on me, it parallels to the fact that we live our lives with our own free agency. We all make our own paths in life, we choose what we want, how we react, the way we choose to live. I would like to think if I had been in that sorting ceremony that I could have helped with the decision of where I would be placed in the school. We have the power over our own lives. 

Harry made a home at this school, and from the very beginning we see why it was such a happy place for him, even with all of the life threatening things that happened while he was there. Although it may have been dangerous, the teachers looked out for their students as parents should. Although he lost loved ones, he had a real bed and ate good food. I imagine my son as a teenager thinking I’m an awful parent because I’m looking out for his best interests and I hope one day he will see that everything I did for him I did out of love, the same way I look at the way my parents raised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment