Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Digging into Agricultures Roots

In two courses that I am currently taking, Plants and People and World Civilization, I am learning about the beginning of agriculture. I think it is quite interesting that in two different subject courses I would be learning about the same topic. Agriculture has always played an important role in my life and I never really thought of about its roots. So I found it extremely odd that in two courses I have that I would be learning about something that I had never thought of. In both classes, I am answering quite similar questions for each course for example, Does agriculture indicate human progress and how?

Agriculture is a very important part in history for almost all humans. At first humans were gatherers and hunters. But human populations were small and the population that did exist were always travelling to find food. Which would put a hold on reproduction to create larger populations. Hunting and gathering food would not be sufficient for a larger family and it takes way too long to find enough food for one person, it would be more difficult to find food for many. Humans would gather together to eat and when they were done eating they would throw scraps into a pile, the piles over time collected seeds which began to germinate. Humans would eventually discover this growth closer to home.

Over time humans would learn how to tame crops close to their homes. Now that they no longer have to travel, a population can increase. With an increased population more people can work on gardening providing more crops. Humans would become more civilized and dependent on plants, and plants would become dependent on humans as well. More people would begin families, more people wanted to learn how to read, and more people became self sufficient.

When the industrial revolution occurred, machines were created to make agriculture production go faster so more crops could be planted at a greater rate. This would help agriculture progress to many different branches. Today agriculture is so diverse and its branches are continually spreading. Agriculture clearly indicates human progress and will continue to do so until the end of time.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Charlie!

    I commend you for thinking out of the box, I hadn't even thought to write about topics from another class! I also am taking a few classes that are going over the same topics. My Cultural Nutrition Class and Personal and Communal Health both are going over healthy habits, which I am enjoying very much! and trying to apply to my life!

    Agriculture is all around us, especially in this area and the area of NY in which I grew up in. Even though its everywhere, I don't ever think about and contemplate its affect on this country. You have made me consider how much of an impact the farms around here have on society! I would definitely say that an increase in agriculture indicates an increase in human progress!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete