Thursday, September 11, 2014

My Personal Journey, Blog #3



                 The main theme of our class and our blog, the journey, applies to my own life rather profoundly. I lost my father before the start of my senior year in high school. I felt quite lost that entire year. I put off college and wanted to follow in his footsteps as a maintenance worker. Two months after graduation, I sat in the parking lot at Toshiba for my first job, a building where my father used to work at when it was Westinghouse three decades before. It was there, looking at the smoke stacks and the clock flashing 5:30 A.M. and a 12 hour day ahead of me that I decided I had made a big mistake. School always came quite easily to me but I had wanted to model myself after my dad. I would enroll in college the following year.
                After attaining a 4.0 GPA my freshman year at a junior college, I had been accepted to Holy Cross in South Bend, Indiana. It had always been my dream to play football for Notre Dame and with good grades, I could easily transfer from Holy Cross to Notre Dame and at least get my chance to try out for the team. Alas, I abandoned my childhood dream because I was in love with a local girl and I opted to stay in town. After a bad breakup with her, I began to drink heavily and my grades slipped badly. Despite being only 15 credits shy of graduation in 2008, I dropped out of school and still can’t recall much of my life those final two years of college. I continued to struggle for several years after, piecing together one low paying job after another. I didn’t have the money to relocate for better career opportunities and my student loan debts went into default.
                After receiving numerous lawsuits over the loans, I panicked and nearly committed suicide due to my financial situation, my drinking problem and general despair over failing at so many plans I had made before my father’s death. I somehow pulled through, first cutting way back on alcohol and then working two full time jobs. It was pure hell for those two years, especially with all the money I made going towards paying off my creditors. While my issues were finally clearing up some, my 30th birthday hit me hard and I knew I had to make drastic changes. I enrolled in one online class, hoping to force myself to re-enroll and finish my degree.
                This semester is my first return to college in many years. After doubting if I would ever be able to return and finish my degree, I rolled the dice and enrolled for 18 credits. While I am still a bit nervous of what the year will bring, I feel relieved for the first time in nearly a decade and can see light at the end of the tunnel. I am still furious with myself every day for so many horrible life decisions and I still wait for something else to knock me back down. I know my older brother has been very disappointed in me but has never said anything, I hope after this spring term to make him proud of me for the first time in a long while. I do hope that my journey will get a little easier going forward.

6 comments:

  1. Reading your story broke my heart, but at the same time I’m very happy for you. I understand this journey is not an easy one, I want to encourage you to keep your head up high. Life is all about making mistakes, it’s up to you to learned from it and correct them. Although you cannot make up for all those years wasted, you are definitely on the right path. Remember most young men always want to follow their father’s footsteps. You are not the only one that made such mistakes in life. Do not allow your passed define your future. Congratulation on your new journey and good luck in life

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I am so happy that you are here with us experiencing life still. Good bless you. It is hard for people to come to college after a semester off, but for you to come back years later is an accomplishment all in itself. This is incredible and you should feel proud of that. Keep believing in yourself. The power of confidence is extraordinary, if you have the confidence that you will finish school, you can. I am sorry for your loss and everything you have been through. Good luck this semester and the rest of your college career!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you have been through a lot in your life and have over come very many obstacles. I am so glad to hear that you have re-enrolled in college and are trying to finish your degree. Although you have suffered so much and made a few bad decisions, there is always room for improvement. It takes a very strong and brave person to admit that they have done wrong in their lives. You should be proud to be back in college and you have set goals for your future, I'm sure your brother will be proud, and I'm sure your dad is watching over you and is happy that you turned your life around. Life is always going to throw us obstacles. We must try to stay positive and have faith that everything will work out the way that it is suppose to. Hearing your story makes me feel very grateful for the life that I have. I wish you the best of luck in the future. Maintain the right priorities and stay positive and I know you will be able to achieve your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the positive thoughts, it is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's amazing that you were able to get your life back on track and thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I've seen similar situations many times and unfortunately most of them stay on a path that doesn't make them happy but is getting them through. Congratulations on enrolling back into school and finishing your degree. I'm sure you're going to do great things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It speaks volumes that you made the decision to change. So many people don't and continue to live in that limbo you spoke of. It is all about choices and as a parent I can truly say your father must be smiling that you figured it out and are on your way to succeeding in your dreams because it doesn't matter how old you are its the positive decision you made to move on and make more of yourself. Keep your head high and know that your doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete