Friday, September 12, 2014

The Planner Life

This semester I have found myself being even busier with school, work and other organizations I am involved in then in the past. time management is a of mine that I have developed over the past two years being here at Mansfield. When I was a freshman, I had two sets of calendars. One was a print piece of paper on my cork board with sticky notes all over trying to remember everything. I quickly found out that it was very difficult to keep everything in line and make sure everything was done correctly and on time. I then got a planner which helped some but I still used the other calendar and sticky notes. Fall semester my sophomore year, I invested in a small planner that I took to all my classes and kept my homework in. I was starting to put more of class assignments in the month part of it so I could get a reference of when things were due and then I started putting my work schedule in it and activities. By the spring of my sophomore year I was highlighting things to keep them organized and kept everything in the one little book. I am not a junior and I invested in a big planner this year to keep everything even more organized and I have found that some of the stress I had had diminished form being more organized and being aware of when I had things due and when I had work earlier on instead of the day before. I still highlight my book and keep all my homework assignments, work days, and activity schedules in there but now everything is in one place. The only issue I have found with this is that if something were to ever happen to the book I wouldn't know what to do with myself because my life is in this book. 

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    I can sincerely relate to your post! Staying organized is difficult, I have found that to be especially true this fall while going to school full time, working full time, and planning my wedding all at the same time! Sometimes it can be maddening. I also finally broke down and got a planner, as well as a 5-subject notebook with folder pockets (one subject/folder for each class). Having everything in one place certainly is helpful. Perhaps as a safety measure you could consider doing something with an electronic planner? That way it could be backed up to another source, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always envy people who can effectively manage their lives. I am definitely one of those people who flies by the seat of their pants, and I know it's a dangerous life. I have tried using a planner before, but it simply did not last. I would forget to put something in it, or I would have it up to date and still worry that I forgot something. This semester I am taking all online classes. While this may seem like fun, it is probably the most scared I have been. Without the daily interaction with professors and no classmates to ask, I am often afraid that I have forgotten to do something. The only solace I can take is in checking the syllabus about 3 times a day for each class. That being said, I think it’s time to check the syllabus again!

    ReplyDelete