Friday, September 12, 2014

Invisible.

     In our readings so far, the theme that I was most able to relate to was that of being an introvert. As Susan Cain points out in her book, Quiet, those of us with an introverted personality are not socially dominant. More often than not we are assumed to be antisocial, unfriendly, and sometimes socially unacceptable. Today it is favorable to be outgoing, almost even aggressive. We can’t all be that way, everyone is different. When did it become so wrong to not constantly be in the middle of everything? Why do people treat me like some sort of pariah, when all I have done is keep to myself?
     I have attended three different universities in my college career, a new one each fall, because I can’t seem to fit in anywhere. No matter where I go, or how hard I try to make friends, I don’t connect with people very well. When I do make an effort to meet someone new, or when I am forced to work in a group setting, I always come off as very awkward and uninterested. What people don’t understand is, that’s not the case. I prefer to be thorough in my work and my thoughts, and I do not want to share or discuss that material until I am completely happy with it. For this reason, I often end up getting ignored, even when I do finally speak up. Participation grades outrage me in college classes, because how am I supposed to give any insight to the conversation when there are a dozen other people screaming out half-developed answers and ideas? I cannot talk over them. I would be mortified. And group projects are another one of my particular distastes because I always seem to end up with that partner that thinks he or she is indefinitely correct about everything, so I can’t ever get a word in anyway.
     My troubles as an introvert follow me into my work life as well. Ironically, I wait tables and bartend at a local restaurant. On the slow days where I have just a few regular customers, I love my job. I can provide them all with quality service, and even squeeze in a few minutes to visit with the ones I know fairly well. Sometimes I come across someone passing through or on vacation that has some exciting experiences to share. That is the beauty of a small-town restaurant, it’s quiet and personal. The weekends are a different story. I hate them. The place gets overcrowded, and I seriously have to wade through the tables to wait on people. I have a rather large personal space and quickly lose patience when I am forced to constantly brush up against people and have to all but scream the night’s specials to be heard over the noise.
     I often wonder if I will succeed upon graduation, or if I will be stuck with a low-paying job forever because of my introvertedness. Many employers want that outgoing personality in their employees and I just don’t have it. I can produce high quality, detailed work, but I fear that it will be overlooked because I am not “the right type.” It’s very unsettling to know that my future may be affected by my social awkwardness. These fears have begun to build up into social anxiety, almost to a clinical point. Anymore, I’m almost afraid to express my thoughts even through writing because if people can’t accept me in person, why would they accept me in writing? Over the past few years, I feel like I have become invisible. In high school, I was the captain of my basketball and soccer teams, as well as the varsity club president and a member of the national honors society. Today, I am no one. I am not heard, I am not noticed.

4 comments:

  1. Erin, I am not sure if you read the introduction to the book, but if you haven't, I recommend that you do. While reading your post I could not help but think back to the introduction and relate you to the powerful introverts mentioned. You're story made me relate you to Susan Cain herself. I always find it fascinating when an introvert is put in public view so plainly and no one knows they are an introvert. I wonder if your time as a waitress and bartender has made you more comfortable in social situations. I know that is not always the case, but I hope for the best for you. I especially hope you keep in mind the idea of being a strong introvert who realizes their strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand exactly where you are coming from. As introverts, we are often overlooked and underappreciated - invisible. This is definitely a theme in the books we read. In Harry Potter, I don't think there is a more accurate word to describe Harry's life with the Dursleys. Even at Hogwarts, Harry is only noticed because of who he is. It takes him a long time for people see who he is as a person. As a fellow introvert, I understand what it is like sitting in a classroom full of extroverts who don't understand you with professors who often times grade you based on your personality and not on you effort. I continue to hope that people can learn to embrace each other's unique and valuable differences instead of trying to make us all become one boring, monotone group of people. After reading Quiet, I have realized that introverts have a great deal of good that they can bring to the classroom, work place, and the world. I hope you find a career that appreciates your introvert qualities because they are very useful and important regardless of what in extrovert may tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each of us has a power all our own. To see that such powerful motivating feelings and potential to overcome the introverted mind set is something I have never explored due to my own extroverted personality. To be able to read these books and find so much revelation is a true treasure. I think you have nailed that feeling spot on in your summation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your honesty and being able to share part of yourself that is so personal. I can also relate to a degree, I myself often worry about my career as I do not interview well or network. I find myself drawn to many online classes as I can avoid any sort of embarrassment by being called in front of a class or working in groups. I'm sure there is some department on campus that might be able to assist you. Don't let this be something that you look back on with frustration. I wish you the best, hopefully you can manage this.

    ReplyDelete