Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Harry Potter Brought Me Back

         I love that you incorporated harry potter into this class.  I haven’t read it since I was young and actually enjoyed reading.  The first time I picked it up to read I was instantly engulfed by the story as I was when I was younger.  This for me kind of got me back into reading a little more than I have been.  Also the characters are great for analyzing like we have done.  Another theme that goes along with this for me was the theme of extrovert/introvert.  I was able to pick out which characters were introverted or extroverted fairly easily and enjoyed doing it as well.  It gave me a whole new perspective of the story because I could relate to different characters in different ways then the first time I read it.  The being said I feel that Harry Potter and Ron Weasley are both introverted and Hermione is extroverted.  However I found that most of the characters on the good side were introverted and most characters on the bad side were extroverted.  I am having trouble coming to a conclusion on what that means or if it is just a coincidence.  As brilliant as J.K. Rowling is I find it hard to believe that this occurred on accident.  I feel that maybe she is introverted herself and that may be why she made the good guys introverted.  Because maybe she subconsciously made the good guys like her and the bad guys the opposite of her (extroverted).  Now this doesn’t go for every character but it seems to be a trend that I picked up on.  If anybody has any insight on this please let me know as I am curious.  Also I found that since harry potter has helped me to get back into reading that I have been much wittier and have enjoyed a larger vocabulary just in the 2 weeks since we have started class.  

7 comments:

  1. Matthew,
    I really like your article and how you incorporated introvert and extrovert characteristics about J,K. Rowling in comparison to her characters. I would have to agree that in this course I enjoyed that Harry Potter was included in the reading. It took me back to my elementary and high school days reading Harry Potter as if it were going out of style. I really enjoyed reading other students responses about the characters personalities. It made the characters more interesting to me than they were before because, I never looked at the characters the same way that someone else may have. This course is very interesting and I enjoy blogging to see other students responses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this Matthew! Personally, I have never been a fan of Harry Potter, but when actually reading the book, I realized its not that bad! A much needed break from the normal textbooks that I've had my nose in! I was happy to see that it was enjoyable for you to get as into the book as you had in the past. I really like how you mentioned you can view the story in a different perspective from when you had previously read it, incorporating the extrovert and introvert ideas. I actually hadn't thought of the good and bad as introvert or extrovert, but now I completely see what you are talking about! I wonder in the author did that on purpose or subconsciously.

    Great points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having to read Harry Potter as San assignment has just been fabulous. I have never considered much this thought that JK Rowling had much of her good guys be introverts, but the more I think on it, the more I agree. I love the film they did on her life called Magic Beyond Words and I wonder if her background had much to do with it, living with an abusive husband and then struggling as a single mother living on government assistance. Perhaps the people she struggled with in her life were extroverts and she gets along more with introverts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matthew,
    I also enjoyed that Harry Potter was incorporated into this course. My sister and I used to go into the basement where it was cool on hot summer days and have Harry Potter marathons. Reading this book again has brought back so many wonderful memories of my childhood. JK Rowling has planned each of these books out so perfectly that I am sure that the "bad side" all being extroverts is not just a coincidence. She is so remarkable that some saying or objects in the books and movies all have some sort of meaning that ties them all together. This is truly a wonderful series of books as well as movies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have loved Harry Potter since it was first published. I remember not being able to put the book down until I was finished! J.K. Rowling is such a brilliant writer that you feel like you are in the book and can see every little detail of Hogwarts that she describes. I am very glad that this book was included into the class. It has definately brought back great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just like you and many others I was excited to see that we would be reading Harry Potter for class this semester. I somewhat noticed what you were saying about the characters being extrovert and introvert before reading your post. Once I read what you had to say you reinforced what I thought and I agree with you one hundred percent. I also highly doubt that J.K. Rowling did this completely by accident because he is such a intelligent and competent writer in all works that he has done. It is difficult to determine why exactly some characters are introvert and others are extrovert but I feel that you could be correct.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also like reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. When I found this book is in our reading list, I was so happy. The first time that I knew the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone was when I was about nine years old, and I went to the movie theatre with my family to watch this movie. But when I read the book, I believe the book is much more detail than the movie. And the most important reason that I love this book is because J.K. Rowling built many successful characters in this book. Everyone has their own personality. That's very sweet.

    ReplyDelete