Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Value of Courage

Courage is one of the many themes I have encountered this semester. First in reading Quiet, then in Harry Potter and in my Women’s Health Issues class. Susan Cain is really courageous for identifying as an introvert, but can get up in front of a big crowd and give a speech. Before this class, I saw her TED Talk “The Power of Introverts” and was interested in reading her book, so I am glad I got a chance to with this class. Many introverts can’t find the courage to be in front of a big crowd, so I applaud her for doing so. In Harry Potter, there are many instances where we see courage. Harry, Hermione, Ron, and many other characters in the book use their courage to make it through to the end of their first year at Hogwarts. They wouldn’t have been able to make it through trolls, a three-headed dog, Quidditch matches, and chess games without it and each other. In my Women’s Health Issues class, the women we read about have many great traits, one of them being courage. These women face many challenges in their everyday lives, but still find a way to make it through the day. I admire them and give them credit for all they do. A quote I like that summarizes these people and characters is “Courage is grace under pressure”, by Ernest Hemingway. Under all the pressure and judgment, they remain composed. They are brave and set examples for others, which is honorable.     

3 comments:

  1. You bring up a good point. I feel something I need to work on is my own courage to accomplish my daily tasks. That quote from Hemingway is just great! One of my favorite things about the course is being required to read Harry Potter and courage seems to be it's theme. His whole life is based around being brave and doing what is right. He is a Gryffindor, which of itself is known to be the house of courage. Harry Potter may be a fun read but there are many life lessons found within.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think courage is the perfect theme for the readings so far this semester. Your right about the Harry Potter crew relying on courage throughout their journey. I feel like the three friends: Harry, Ron, and Hermoine, all empower that trait in eachother. Through support of others, the three friends find ways through obstacles by working off eachother's strengths. The same can be seen from the women in our Women's Health class. These courageous women share their experiences and it serves as a support net to aid in information and closure to future women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the theme through out all our books have been courage and over coming things, This is a nice topic for being a college student and having to get through the obstacles with balancing the classes and people in your life and you will need a lot of courage to actually get everything done that you need to so over all i believe this is a great topic.

    ReplyDelete