Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Winter's Bone: Love Unspoken

While the primary character in the film Winter’s Bone, Ree Dolly, was a strong character, I found the character of Teardrop to be equally compelling. There are numerous scenes where we are given little glimpses of Teardrop’s personality. The film continues to build on the idea of what a man in this rural area has had to become in order to survive. The scene I found most revealing about Teardrop’s character was the last scenes of the movie. Teardrop started off as an unapproachable and threatening character at the beginning of the film and progressed to a man with unspoken affection towards his brother’s children. Teardrop’s character shows how sometimes love can be shown through small actions and not words. He brings the children chicks to care for as a peace offering for the wrong he has done in the past and as a condolence for the loss of their father. The children then offer him their father’s banjo as a symbol of the life that he once knew where he could have a loving family who welcomed him in without judgment. After the kindness he is shown by the children, he is deeply saddened by the fact that he has learned who killed his brother. This is an issue because it means that his life will also be cut short and the children will once again be left alone with no one to protect them from the growing violence of their society. When he leaves without speaking another word, it is known that there is a private knowledge between Ree and Teardrop. They, Teardrop and Ree, know that he may never be seen again but he knows he did the right thing by letting them know that he did care. He finally made peace with his family.

3 comments:

  1. I also thought Ree Dolly was a very strong character. She looks after her family to the best of her ability and her level of dedication to them is overwhelming. Teardrop however, I felt was a weak character. He improved throughout the movie but I felt like he felt more guilt than love for Ree and the others. Like he only made peace because of the societal norm that family sticks together, rather than doing it out of pure love. There was definitely a sign of respect shown by both sides, as you said, the banjo and the chicks though, which was nice. But I kept feeling like Ree's determination was the glue for holding everyone together and Teardrop was just a minor support role.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy that you chose someone other than Ree, even though I did chose her I do agree with you that Teardrop was just as important in this story as Ree. My favorite part of this movie was how Teardrop turned around as a character. I knew that the banjo was a peace offering and sweet gesture in another of Teardrop's brother, but I did not make the connection that the chicks were part of a peace offering - good thought. Nonverbal communication makes more of impact on people's lives than verbal communication sometimes such as when Teardrop left without saying a word and just nodding his head at Ree. It is an extremely powerful gesture that demonstrates their "secret".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also appreciate you choosing someone other than Ree to reflect on. Teardrop stood out to me as well and I liked that I could tell that somewhere deep inside he really cared for his brothers family. I enjoyed the part in your post about the idea of what a man has to do to survive. I hadn’t really put much thought into it, I thought more about how he could come off so cold. If he didn’t he wouldn’t get anywhere and would really even have trouble surviving.

    ReplyDelete