Tuesday, September 30, 2014

It's networking for a reason

There are so many new forms of communication out there that it is extremely difficult for people to fall out of touch with one another. Sometimes that can be a negative thing; however, I personally feel like social networking has affected personal relationships not only in a negative way but a positive way as well. Things are much different today than they were back when our grandparents were growing up. The only way to communicate back then was to send mail that the other person would receive days later. There is nothing wrong with this type of communication whatsoever, but now we are able to broaden our communication and personal relationships with those who are close to us by having all of these new networking sites. One of my least favorite excuses is "I've just been so busy." This is one of my least favorite excuses for the fact that we have all of these incredible ways of communicating that people should not have to lose contact with one another regardless of how far away the other person is. Facebook, for instance, helps me to stay in contact with family members who are in different parts of the world than I am. We are able to communicate and learn about one another so the next time we do see each other, things are less awkward and the small talk is already out of the way because we are already caught up on each other's lives. I think this is a huge asset to personal relationships. Also, without social networking, this course would be unavailable to all of us taking it. I personally feel like social networking has made a positive impact on personal intimacy.

3 comments:

  1. Tristin,

    I really enjoyed your article! You made a lot of great statements on how communication is certainly effective in our relationships today. I liked how you referenced past generations and made a comparison with the generation today. I have to agree with your article because, without social media how could we relay messages instantaneously to many across the world. Social Media is a great way to relay messages at a faster pace than 20 years ago, maybe less! Social media definitely has a lot of positives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are lots of ways to communicate with people. My one friend sent me a message on Facebook and I was like “why didn’t you just text me” and her answer was “ I don’t know this was easier.” I felt like it was only easy for her because she was already on the media. Another story that came to my head when I was reading your blog is that my one friend went to the army and I had no way of communicating with him unless it was by mail. All I was thinking was if only he had a computer and can Facebook me or have his phone and can tweet or text me. back when our grandparents were growing up if they did not have a way to send mail then there was no way at all. They was not wondering like me and wishing they had a book or computer. That just shows how different our generation is and how social networking impacted on our personal intimacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your initial thoughts on social media being used as a way of way of communication between people who might otherwise not have the opportunity to stay in contact. It has certainly made it much more difficult to say one has “been busy” when they probably have all the forms of social media on their smartphone. It is a brilliant way to keep caught up with our respective family members, so it is definitely easier to talk with them with the correct context already in mind. Social media has indeed increased our personal intimacy in many senses I have to agree.

    ReplyDelete