Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Dungeon of Dark Potions

     For my character I have chosen Professor Snape the Potions Master during Harry’s first day of potions. Snape greets the class by discussing the truth behind potions in barely a whisper. He is stated to have the same sternness of Professor McGonagall but having more deep and demanding feelings towards the students. Many of the students try to straighten up and seem more impressive. This shows that Snape’s personality can be very direct which can entice fear in others. This allows him to find who is up to the job and who is more suited for the dark corners of the room. 

     Much of this can be shown when he turns his direction to Harry and starts asking him questions pertaining to certain ingredients. The whole time that Harry has been at Hogwarts he has been as Snape put it “the new celebrity” and was pretty much put on top of the pedestal by his peers. As Harry knows none of the questions that are directed at him, it shows that Snape is personally pushing Harry off the pedestal causing him to be no more than a normal student who needs to be treated that way. Upon Harry’s failure at the question he proceeds to take one point away from Gryffindor sealing the blow he has taken on both Harry and the class. Snape is a very sly and cunning person. Though he may seem to act in one manner he can change to another that is entirely different without you knowing. His personality is sharp and quick which enables him to, in a way, manipulate others so he can obtain the knowledge that he seeks. There is so much more to Snape that is incorporated within the up and coming books that causes the audience to twist and turn unsure where their loyalties stand for Professor Snape. All I know is that many students dread that dark walk in the dungeons each week. I know I would.        

1 comment:

  1. Well written, Josh! This is the scene that I also wrote about and you definitely hit the nail on the head. You explained it much better than me and I didn't even think of Snape acquiring knowledge through fear. I was thinking of how judgmental he was towards Harry and the other classmates but never thought of fear. When he was asking Harry the questions, Potter was clearly afraid to answer the question wrong. When he did say that he didn't know, Snape snapped on Harry. You really outdid me and I wish I would've thought the same way you did when reading this section. If you want to switch grades, I'll be more than happy to! Anyways, awesome job and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete