Thursday, September 4, 2014

The character of Professor Snape has a very unique dynamic that intrigues me. While as a Professor he has an abundance of knowledge already and is assumed to have a massive knowledge base, the ways he knows things seems a bit insidious. He has a cloak of darkness about himself that keeps you wondering how it is he knows so much. Is he in cohorts with a darker force? Is he a good person who has simply been scarred by his life events and is therefore unable to to express his truly good nature.

When I was in high school I was often told that I have a smile that shows I am very happy, but makes people wonder what it is I know. I have been told that I am a very good judge of character, and that sometimes makes people feel uneasy as to how I am able to understand them so quickly. It is almost the same reaction that Professor Snape enacted in myself. While he seems dark and mysterious, you somehow know that he is some that you could trust. This is what I assume others have seen and thought of me. In the almost kindred spirit I feel with Snape I feel I have found a real common-hood. Sometimes it is not prudent to let others know exactly how it is that you have the knowledge that you have gained. The secrecy and privacy of the way in which you learn things can often be your greatest asset. By not letting on how you know things, others find a certain trust in you, knowing you aren't someone who gives up their source of information very easily.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you one hundred percent, Matt. I also wrote about Professor Snape. However, some people disagreed with me a bit but I was doing my job of closed reading. Anyways, when I read about how people believed that you had a good sense of judgment I had a connection. I think Snape has an excellent sense of judgment and this is how he acquires his knowledge. What I want to know from you is how and what was your specific scenario in the book to help support your claim. It's well written and I liked the first paragraph. Sometimes I see how someone explains themselves and I wish I could explain things as well as they do. All in all, you did a good job. Also, next time make a title. It could have been an honest mistake but I just want to make sure you get a good grade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find your comparison of yourself to professor Snape very interesting. With Snape being a very mysterious character, you are dead on with how his personality lends to his acquisition of knowledge. It is pretty clear that Snape is a very intelligent man, being that he is suitable for multiple teaching positions in the school.

    The pride that you take in your privacy give you a good insight into the true character of Snape. People are aware that you know many secrets that they don’t, and that awareness almost gives people a different perspective of you, just like Snape. By being secure and trustworthy with the private thoughts and knowledge of others, you tend to be viewed as mysterious, and perhaps even dark, by others.

    ReplyDelete